Friday 27 April 2012

What a difference a day makes!

I have been coming very regularly to this valley now for over a year. This is the first time I have seen any significant change in the height of the water.

Today it is five feet deeper. Five feet at least!

Look at this shot.



I am not sure how long it has been since the flood that washed away bridges and stone parapets of bridges along the Evenlode. This is the biggest change in the river since that.

I am baffled. Day after day it rains. The river level stays the same. Today even the ditch that flows into the main stream is overflowing.

This bridge is under threat .





Just a few days ago I was enjoying this spring that bubbles up red at the heart of the meadow.
It actually cascades down from the little copse where it is born.

The next image shows the area of marsh grass created by the spring. There was a bird I do not know nesting at the edge of it until recently.







It is very sad for the swans that their nests are now under water. 
I have not seen any eggs. I hope they are OK. There is no sign of the dead calf. Was it removed, or has it been washed away. I need to find out.

The nest will be under water now 
















forager

I thought I had better share this blossom shot with you before it is all gone. I did not even see the insect till I blew up the image.

petrified pheasant

Sophie managed to pounce on a pheasant today for the first time. We were able to rescue it. Sophie simply does not have the instinct to kill anything. But she loves to chase these beautiful but rather stupid birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment