Friday 9 March 2012

Kingfisher Delight

I am delighted to share with you my first Kingfisher sighting of 2012. I have lost the date, but it was in late February.



Yet it has taken me weeks to write about it. I have been back and back to the spot in the hope of a photograph; but sadly there have been no more sightings.

I have decided to share with you pictures of the area where Stumpy and family go fishing.

Stumpy!
Well, when I look at him from behind he has a decided wedge shape, much broader in the rear and quite short, so I have called him Stumpy.


It was such a thrill to have my first sighting of the Kingfisher of 2012.



I have a feeling I found their nest in the river bank. A small bird shot out of the bank straight across the river and out onto the fields on the other side.
At first I did not think it was a kingfisher, but then it peeled left to come around on to the river again.

The flash of blue on the wings was unmistakable.

I am so pleased the kingfishers are still here since I have not seen one since early autumn last year.



It was in October I went to a course on wildlife photography at Slimbridge wildfowl trust and explored the very large kingfisher hide they have there. There have been no kingfishers on that river for at least eighteen months I was told.

It makes it all the more pleasing that the Evenlode, just up country from Slimbridge has kept its kingfishers. It is just one very special feature of the secluded valley.


No comments:

Post a Comment